Daily Prompts – Words and Images
To participate in This Daily Prompt, simply a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Today’s Word: Balance
Here is the URL link you can copy to your post:
- a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
- something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
- mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.
- a state of bodily equilibrium:He lost his balance and fell down the stairs.
- an instrument for determining weight, typically by the equilibrium of a bar with a fulcrum at the center, from each end of which is suspended a scale or pan, one holding an object of known weight, and the other holding the object to be weighed.
- the remainder or rest:He carried what he could and left the balance for his brother to bring.
- the power or ability to decide an outcome by throwing one’s strength, influence, support, or the like, to one side or the other.
- (in winemaking) the degree to which all the attributes of a wine are in harmony, with none either too prominent or deficient.
- equality between the totals of the two sides of an account.
- the difference between the debit total and the credit total of an account.
- unpaid difference represented by the excess of debits over credits.
- an adjustment of accounts.
- the act of balancing; comparison as to weight, amount, importance, etc.; estimate.
- preponderating weight:The balance of the blame is on your side.
- Fine Arts. composition or placement of elements of design, as figures, forms, or colors, in such a manner as to produce an aesthetically pleasing or harmoniously integrated whole.
- Dance. a balancing movement.
- Also called balance wheel. Horology. a wheel that oscillates against the tension of a hairspring to regulate the beats of a watch or clock.
- (initial capital letter) Astronomy, Astrology. the constellation or sign of Libra; Scales.
- Audio. (in a stereophonic sound system) the comparative loudness of two speakers, usually set by a control (balance control) on the amplifier or receiver.
verb (used with object), bal·anced, bal·anc·ing.
- to bring to or hold in equilibrium; poise:to balance a book on one’s head.
- to arrange, adjust, or proportion the parts of symmetrically.
- to be equal or proportionate to:I’m always happy when cash on hand balances expected expenses. One side of an equation must balance the other.
- to add up the two sides of (an account) and determine the difference.
- to make the necessary entries in (an account) so that the sums of the two sides will be equal.
- to settle by paying what remains due on an account; equalize or adjust.
- to weigh in a balance.
- to estimate the relative weight or importance of; compare:to balance all the probabilities of a situation.
- to serve as a counterpoise to; counterbalance; offset:The advantages more than balance the disadvantages.
- Dance. to move in rhythm to and from:to balance one’s partner.
verb (used without object), bal·anced, bal·anc·ing.
- to have an equality or equivalence in weight, parts, etc.; be in equilibrium:The account doesn’t balance. Do these scales balance?
- Accounting. to reckon or adjust accounts.
- to waver or hesitate:He would balance and temporize endlessly before reaching a decision.
- Dance. to move forward and backward or in opposite directions.
Definition from Dictionary.com
Make sure to check out the comment links and pingbacks to view other posts inspired by today’s prompt.
To participate in This Daily Prompt, S publish a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Thank you, and happy blogging.