Daily Prompts – Words and Images
To participate in This Daily Prompt, simply a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Today’s Word: Anchor
Here is the URL link you can copy to your post:
- any of various devices dropped by a chain, cable, or rope to the bottom of a body of water for preventing or restricting the motion of a vessel or other floating object, typically having broad, hooklike arms that bury themselves in the bottom to provide a firm hold.
- any similar device for holding fast or checking motion:an anchor of stones.
- any device for securing a suspension or cantilever bridge at either end.
- any of various devices, as a metal tie, for binding one part of a structure to another.
- a person or thing that can be relied on for support, stability, or security; mainstay:Hope was his only anchor.
- Radio and Television. a person who is the main broadcaster on a program of news, sports, etc., and who usually also serves as coordinator of all participating broadcasters during the program; anchorman or anchorwoman; anchorperson.
- Television. a program that attracts many viewers who are likely to stay tuned to the network for the programs that follow.
- a well-known store, especially a department store, that attracts customers to the shopping center in which it is located.Also called anchor store.
- Slang. automotive brakes.
- Military. a key position in defense lines.
- Also anchorman. Sports.
- the person on a team, especially a relay team, who competes last.
- the person farthest to the rear on a tug-of-war team.
verb (used with object)
- to hold fast by an anchor.
- to fix or fasten; affix firmly:The button was anchored to the cloth with heavy thread.
- to act or serve as an anchor for:He anchored the evening news.
verb (used without object)
- to drop anchor; lie or ride at anchor:The ship anchored at dawn.
- to keep hold or be firmly fixed:The insect anchored fast to its prey.
- Sports, Radio and Television. to act or serve as an anchor.
Definition from Dictionary.com
Make sure to check out the comment links and pingbacks to view other posts inspired by today’s prompt.
To participate in This Daily Prompt, S publish a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Thank you, and happy blogging.