Daily Prompts – Words and Images
To participate in This Daily Prompt, simply a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Today’s Word: Traverse
Here is the URL link you can copy to your post:
verb (used with object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- to pass or move over, along, or through.
- to go to and fro over or along.
- to extend across or over:A bridge traverses the stream.
- to go up, down, or across (a rope, mountain, hill, etc.) at an angle:The climbers traversed the east face of the mountain.
- to ski across (a hill or slope).
- to cause to move laterally.
- to look over, examine, or consider carefully; review; survey.
- to go counter to; obstruct; thwart.
- to contradict or deny.
- (in the law of pleading) to deny formally (an allegation of fact set forth in a previous pleading).
- to join issue upon.
- to turn and point (a gun) in any direction.
verb (used without object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- to pass along or go across something; cross:a point in the river where we could traverse.
- to ski across a hill or slope on a diagonal.
- to turn laterally, as a gun.
- Fencing. to glide the blade toward the hilt of the contestant’s foil while applying pressure to the blade.
- the act of passing across, over, or through.
- something that crosses, obstructs, or thwarts; obstacle.
- a transversal or similar line.
- a place where one may traverse or cross; crossing.
- Architecture. a transverse gallery or loft of communication in a church or other large building.
- a bar, strip, rod, or other structural part placed or extending across; crosspiece; crossbar.
- a railing, lattice, or screen serving as a barrier.
- the zigzag track of a vessel compelled by contrary winds or currents to sail on different courses.
- each of the runs in a single direction made in such sailing.
- a defensive barrier, parapet, or the like, placed transversely.
- a defensive barrier thrown across the terreplein or the covered way of a fortification to protect it from enfilade fire.
- Gunnery. the horizontal turning of a gun so as to make it point in any required direction.
- the motion of a lathe tool or grinding wheel along a piece of work.
- a part moving along a piece of work in this way, as the carriage of a lathe.
- Surveying. a series of intersecting surveyed lines whose lengths and angles of intersection, measured at instrument stations, are recorded graphically on a map and in numerical form in data tables.Compare closed traverse.
- Law. a formal denial of some matter of fact alleged by the other side.
- lying, extending, or passing across; transverse.
Definition from Dictionary.com
Make sure to check out the comment links and pingbacks to view other posts inspired by today’s prompt.
To participate in This Daily Prompt, S publish a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images, anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Thank you, and happy blogging.