Daily Prompts – Words and Images
To participate in This Daily Prompt, all you have to do is publish a post on your own blog that responds to the prompt. It can be words, images anything that you like. Put the link (listed below) in your post to create the automatic pingback. You can leave a link to your post in the comments if you wish.
Today’s Word: Hoist
Here is the URL link you can copy to your post:
verb (used with object)
- to raise or lift, especially by some mechanical appliance:to hoist a flag; to hoist the mainsail.
- to raise to one’s lips and drink; drink (especially beer or whiskey) with gusto:Let’s go hoist a few beers.
- Archaic. a simple past tense and past participle of hoise.
- an apparatus for hoisting, as a block and tackle, a derrick, or a crane.
- act of hoisting; a lift:Give that sofa a hoist at your end.
- the vertical dimension amidships of any square sail that is hoisted with a yard.Compare drop(def 28).
- the distance between the hoisted and the lowered position of such a yard.
- the dimension of a fore-and-aft sail along the luff.
- a number of flags raised together as a signal.
- the vertical dimension as flown from a vertical staff.
- the edge running next to the staff.Compare fly1(def 30b).
Definition from Dictionary.com
Make sure to check out the comment links and pingbacks to view other posts inspired by today’s prompt.
Thank you and happy blogging.